Friday, 15 July 2011

Video games are better in 2d.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles is my favourite video gameever, end of story.
The way Sega has been going with recent Sonic games, however, just makes me sad. The last good sonic game Sega made was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Although many people say it was awful due to poor camera controls and slow speed, I still loved it.

Sonic Generations. I played the demo and, to tell the truth, was very dissapointed. Sega seems to insist on going back to its roots and creating games that are two similar to the original Megadrive/Genesis games. Why?!
Sure, the old games were better than the new ones, but that doesn't mean you have to re-create them almost exactly! I was very optimistic about Sonic 4 - Part 1 but, once again, was sorely dissapointed. Too many re-used enemies. Too many re-used bosses. Too many re-used enviroments.
C'mon, Sega! I know you know how to make original enemies and levels!

I don't want you to continue raping my childhood!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, the comment you left me is one of the best I've read so far.
    To your blog: I've never really played Sonic, but I agree with the headline. I miss simple games like Zelda and Mario (NES), even though the games I play now are a lot more complex. This makes me nostalgia...
    Followed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonic is better in 2D. Video games in general, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like my 3DS but the vieving angle is a hassle..

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's just like your opinion man.. Although great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's sad, EVERY 3d sonic game has sucked

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure, a few years ago side-scrollers and other 2D games were fun, but much has changed. Classic games will be forever recognised, but playing some RPG with great graphics is more appealing to players than old Zelda games nowadays...

    1+ follow

    ReplyDelete
  7. ToDecomposeDude: I really like some old (not so old) isometric RPGs like Fallout and Planescape Torment. Both of them still look awesome.
    I think the new Fallout games for expample are considerable downgrade with their 1st/3rd person gameplay and graphics. Ye, I'm sure I'm in the minority here though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw keep it up, "EpicFaceMan". :)
    Followed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love 2d Sonic games, but I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. dont forget mario, most epic yet simple game ever

    ReplyDelete
  11. sonic adventure 2: battle was a great game, but it can't hold a candle to sonic 2; it was, however, very innovative in that you got a chance to play as the villains quite often and see the story form their point of view, but some of the graphics in the 3d view would pass by too quickly and you miss something or you screw around with the camera and go off a cliff the next second whereas you never had that trouble with a 2d sonic game :/ but I will admit that 2d sometimes isn't better, eg WOW as opposed to maplestory(bleh)

    ReplyDelete